Trailer flooring will need to be robust and powerful enough to carry the highest possible load that you are likely to place on it. Consequently, this is an important part of your trailer and will need to be maintained accordingly. For an excellent quality trailer flooring, ATE advises Phenolic Birch Plywood Trailer Flooring.
What is Phenolic Trailer Flooring?
Phenolic trailer flooring is a hardwood, Latvian birch plywood which is coated in a phenolic resin that makes it waterproof and tougher wearing.
What are the benefits?
- Phenolic trailer flooring features an anti-slip mesh pattern on one side that minimizes the risk of slipping in wet conditions.
- The top side is dark-brown, and slip-proof and the lower side is smooth that means that no dirt sticks to the bottom.
- All four edges are well-preserved with acrylic resin paint, (FSC® certified) that improves durability and means that it is longer lasting.
- The plywood sheets are made to a high standard, which makes them immune to corrosion and moisture.
- The coating of wood is a phenolic resin and it is precisely this coating which makes it waterproof.
At the end of the day, the flooring is perhaps the most used component of your trailer and will be seeing the most wear. Phenolic birch ply flooring might not be the cheapest although is worth investing in. This is due to the fact that you’ll not just have a floor that is physically sound , but then it’s going to last longer and does not have to be replaced as often as cheaper flooring.
What can I do to ensure my flooring stays in good condition?
- Attempt to keep your trailer inside when you are not using it. Phenolic birch ply is a high-quality flooring, although it is still wood. Hence, being left out in the outdoors affects how long it lasts. On the other hand, if you don’t have a place to store your trailer inside, another possibility is to use rubber matting or a PVC trailer covering to protect the floor.
- One More point to note is that if you need to cut the phenolic plywood down to fit your trailer, you will have to seal the sawn edges again with at least 2-3 coats. This is significant, because it guarantees that the edges of the trailer are treated appropriately and enhance the durability.
- Keep your trailer stored with the floor sloping. By jacking your jockey wheel up, any water runs off the flooring rather than sitting on top. Since the flooring is made of wood, any quantity of sitting water affects the condition.
At ATE, we provide three different sizes of trailer flooring. One of the sizes relates to the width and length of the flooring and the two we stock are 2500mm x 1250mm and 3050mm x 1525mm. The other size relates to the thickness of the trailer floor and the two we stock are 12mm and 18mm.